FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 14, 2013
Mary Craigle, Bureau Chief, Census and Economic Information Center (CEIC), (406) 841-2739
Ronja M. Abel, Communications Director, Department of Commerce, (406) 841-2557
Montana’s Median Housing Value Increases Five Percent
According to the Latest Census Bureau Estimate, Montana’s Median Home Value of Owner-Occupied Households Rose to $183,600 During Post-Recession Period
(Helena, MT) – The U.S. Census Bureau today released the latest statistics from the American Community Survey (ACS), which show the median home value of owner-occupied households for Montana was $183,600 during the post-recession period of 2010-2012. This is a 5 percent increase from $174,900 during the recession period of 2007-2009. These figures are the most recent available for the State and areas with a population of 20,000 or more.
The available data for Montana’s more populous counties shows a broad spectrum of changes in the median home values among counties. Lake County had the largest percentage increase in median home value of 13.7 percent from $195,700 to $222,600. Other counties with increasing home values include Lewis & Clark County (7.3%), Cascade County (7.2%), and Silver Bow (6.1%) and Yellowstone County (6.1%). Counties showing a decline in owner-occupied median home values include Gallatin County (-11.2%), Flathead County (-7.5%), Missoula County (-2.3%) and Ravalli County (-1.6%).
Nationally, the median home value was $174,600 in the post-recession period, a $17,300 decline from the recession period.
Although the number of housing units increased by nearly 30,000 (from 375,055 to 404,990 units), the percentage of owner-occupied households remained unchanged at 68% of all Montana homes. The remaining 32% of occupied houses in the State are renter households.
In addition to these housing statistics, more than 40 topics about Montana are available with today’s release through the American Community Survey. Topics include educational attainment, employment, commuting, language spoken at home, nativity and ancestry. More information is available at https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/.
For more information, contact the Census and Economic Information Center (CEIC) at the Montana Department of Commerce at (406) 841-2740 or contact the Denver Census Bureau Regional Office at 1 (800) 852-6159.